What You Need:
* 1/4 yard print No. 1 (blocks)
* 1/8 yard print No. 2 (block centers)
* 1/4 yard print No. 3 (sashing strips)
* 1/8 yard print No. 4 (sashing squares)
* 1 yard print No. 5 (pillowcase body)
19-5/8 X 28-1/2 inches (fits a standard-size bed pillow)
3-1/2 inches square
Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100-percent cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut pieces in the following order.
From print No. 1, cut:
* 16 2-5/8-inch squares, cutting each in half diagonally for a total of 32 corner triangles
From print No. 2, cut:
* 8 3-inch squares for block centers
From print No. 3, cut:
* 25 1-3/4-x-4-inch sashing strips
From print No. 4, cut:
* 18 1-3/4-inch sashing squares
From print No. 5, cut:
* 1 22-x-39-3/4-inch rectangle
* 1 8-3/4-x-39-3/4-inch rectangle
1. Sew print No. 1 corner triangles to opposite edges of a print No. 2 square (Diagram 1). Press seam toward triangles.
2. Add print No. 1 triangles to square's remaining edges to complete the Square-in-a-Square block (Diagram 2) Press seams toward triangles. The block should be 4 inches square including seam allowances. Repeat to make eight Square-in-a-Square blocks total.
1. Alternating sashing strips and blocks, sew together nine print No. 3 sashing strips and eight Square-in-a-Square blocks to make a block row. Press seams toward sashing strips.
2. Alternating sashing squares and strips, join nine print No. 4 sashing squares and eight print No. 3 sashing strips to make a sashing row. Press seams toward sashing strips. Repeat to make a second sashing row.
3. Referring to Diagram 3 on page 36, join sashing and block rows to make the pieced border. The pieced border should be 6 1/2 x 39 3/4 inches including seam allowances.
1. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together pieced border and the print No. 5 rectangles to make a pillowcase unit.
2. With right side inside, fold pillowcase unit in half. Sew along long raw edges and short, unpieced end of pillowcase unit. Turn right side out and press.
3. Fold raw edge of pillowcase unit under 1/2 inch and press. Fold same edge under 7 inches, leaving a 1-inch-wide strip along the outside edge of the pieced border (see Diagram 3). From the pillowcase right side, stitch in the ditch on the pieced border's lower edge to complete pillowcase.