Thursday, January 3, 2008

Interfaith-Couple

All marriages and other lifetime partnerships are mixed relationships! Most involve persons of two genders: one man and one woman. Sometimes the two spouses are of different religions, nationalities, races, ethnic groups, economic levels, etc. The more significant differences in background that a couple has, the greater are the challenges that need to be resolved before and during marriage. Sometimes their efforts to reach a consensus can draw the couple closer together. With other couples, their differences will drive them apart.
Inter-faith marriages a.k.a. mixed, mixed faith, or inter-religious marriages. It is a union in which the two spouses follow different religious traditions. The fact of the matter is my husband and I came from a different religion, he is a Baptist and I am a Catholic. One of our new year’s resolutions is to go to church. But uncertainly we don’t know what church to go to.
Since we got married we don’t usually go to church. We have had disagreements and issues about our beliefs and the teachings in the church. Usually the disagreements are about my church. Of course, I would like him to go to my church and so he does. But it will be hard for us both to change each others religion.
Actually, as we discussed about each others religion and try to contemplate, I found out that we have similarities in our faiths and beliefs.
To strengthen and unifies our relationship we learn how to COMPROMISE. We finally go to church, and what we agreed is we go to church alternately, first Sunday we go to my church and the next Sunday will be his church and so on. I have no problem going to my husband’s church and he has no problem going to my church either. I thought that was a perfect idea we came up with.
Interfaith marriages can be successful and happy if both spouses are willing to work hard at committing to one another, showing respect for one another, and focusing on shared values. When children come along, it's important to place the best interests of the child first as decisions are made about how to religiously raise the child. As interfaith couples carefully consider these issues with sensitivity toward one another, they can avoid most of the conflict around religious differences and will be able to build a loving and unified relationship and family life.
"This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband. Ephesians 5:22-33

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Its good to know you manages it well Demz. Good job! Keep working it out. Its important to make the family more loving over the years of marriage.

Lisa said...

Hubby and I are both members of Baptist church here in TX. I used to attend the Wesleyan Church in the Philippines but I embraced his church here and the members are like my family here in the US.

Seelaninfo said...

Nice post about interfaith couple..Nice post of interracial chat..please also visit my new pst in djsamir,
vistasanjacinto,
hb3urbandesign,
girltalkgifts